Search this blog

Are you looking for a pattern? Just type the name of the character and let Google find it for you ;)

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Let's start with a finish (and a link party)

Finishing and good progress are a great way of starting the year!!


The Ongoing Project List:
  1. Play with Me QAL - worked on finishing Feb board
  2. WGACA projects
    1. Jane T - 2 more blocks done (see below)
    2. The SK project - 1 block done (see below)
    3. Mirror Mirror Afghan - 10 rows completed!
  3. Block Swap Adventure -  block done for January partner (see below)
  4. Charity Quilts for DC General Homeless Shelter project - great donation arrived (see below)
  5. American Quilt (previous known as Americana QAL) - reassessed what I want to do with this
  6. Project Quilting (#1) - done! (see below)
The EverythingElse List:
  1. the 31000 Xs project - no progress
  2. Spirit cross stitch project - no progress
  3. Alice in Wonderland quilt - no progress
  4. As You Wish -  no progress
  5. Crazy optical illusion - no progress
  6. Memory quilt 2 - no progress
--
List of projects for my Q1 list
  1. Project quilting, challenge #1 - using my scrap bin, art related piece (current status: done this week)
  2. Project quilting, challenge #2 - using my scrap bin, art related piece (current status: not started)
  3. Project quilting, challenge #3 - using my scrap bin, art related piece (current status: not started)
  4. Project quilting, challenge #4 - using my scrap bin, art related piece (current status: not started)
  5. Project quilting, challenge #5 - using my scrap bin, art related piece (current status: not started)
  6. Project quilting, challenge #6 - using my scrap bin, art related piece (current status: not started)
  7. American Quilt - several blocks done, need to put them into a layout
  8. Spirit Cross stitch - started, very little progress
  9. Floral charity quilt - top, back and batting ready, need quilting!
--
This is my piece for Project Quilting, Challenge #1: Confetti.

Konfettinsky, 15'' x 15''
Made in Maryland (MD), USA

This is the story behind my work.

"One day, last spring, I went to visit The Phillips Collection, in D.C. I admired all the paintings and art pieces and I was even inspired to make a piece for the AMB Tiny Quilt Challenge (that's another story, you can read it here if you are curious).
In the gift shop, I was browsing the magnets and I kept picking up the magnet for the piece by Kandinsky called 'Succession'. I am not usually particularly attracted by abstract art and honestly I don't even remember if I saw the piece in the exhibition :).
But the fridge magnet was attracted to me and I didn't know why.
I didn't know why, UNTIL I saw the PQ challenge! When I read the word "Confetti" I immediately visualized that magnet and how I could take some pieces from it and make it in a mini! So now I know why the Universe wanted me to get the magnet!!
I fused all the desired pieces in place and added very very little quilting on it. Why? For three reasons: 1) some pieces are crazy small, so it's not good to add stitching on them; 2) this piece is never going to be washed, so as long as the pieces stay there, I am happy; 3) I wanted to keep the simplicity of the original work."

If you are curious, this is my magnet :)


Few more details picture, just for fun :)


--
First week of my WGACA project (to know more you can read this previous post).
This strategy proved to be very effective, as I had progress on each of the three projects!

*First on my Jane T quilt. 

Two new blocks from my WoaF series

Progress on the entire quilt. 11 blocks!

*The SK project (paused for several months) got back in the making and I finished this embroidery quote

*The Mirror Mirror Afghan, doesn't have progress to show, as I completed only 10 rows, but since the project was abandoned for at least 6 months, I see 10 new rows of crochet as a great progress!! 

--
For this month block for the Block Swap Adventure, my partner said she likes 30's fabric on white background. I don't have much of those colors in my stash, but I hope she will like this block.


--
And last, but not least, I want to remind you that I am working on charity quilts,
and I would love your help!! 
Quilts are for a quilt drive to help the kids in the DC General Homeless Shelter. 
And you can help me by donating orphan blocks, partial blocks, or fabric (scraps, strips, leftover, uglies, whatever). 
If you are willing to mail them to me, I could use them to make more quilts for these kids!!! 
If you are up for a loving donation, please send me an email at tweloq[_at_]gmail[dot_com] or leave a comment here with your email address so I could give you my mailing address. I promise that your donation will be used to make some kids happy and feel more loved!! 

This week, I have to report a HUGE donation from Dolores and her friend Marg!
Early this week I found a package on my door step... I tried to lift it and I thought: "why would someone send me bricks?" :) yes, it was that heavy :) and full of fabric goodies

Scraps, strips, pieces, blocks and few big pieces. Let me make a special note about 60''x60'' cheater panel that will be so perfect for the back of one of the tops that I have ready!!
As you can see, my sewing helper inspected the donation and she verified the extreme good comfiness of the different pieces! :) :)

Now I'm off to basting and quilting. Maybe soon I will have another finish to report!! :)
--
How about you? What are YOU up to?
Link it here and share it with me!!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely improve confetti; has great movement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your start to 2016. It is a very interesting magnet. I must admit the colours sing to me but then I love colour. Alida did I fix my noreplyblogger issue from last week. I hope I did. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia! I sent you an email... but just in case.
      Yes, I think you fixed the issue. The email that comes up with your comments is not the usual email address that comes up when I talk with you, but it is a valid email address so you should receive the reply! Let me know if you didn't! :)

      Delete
  3. Your Konfettinsky quilt is amazing!! So much movement and interest...great design!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great take on that magnet - the quilt turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!
Please share your thoughts on my projects with me!

UA-37918212-1