I thought a lot if to write or not, if to post it or not, etc. but I decided that once it's out it's off my chest and I can move on happily ever after :)
My dilemma is the following: is it worth it to share my patterns here on my blog?
These are the facts:
- I have been sharing my sewing adventures and pattern here on this blog for more than a year
- Every pattern I ever designed has been shared for free here or on craftsy
- I shared about 30 tested patterns, and about 40 untested ones
- I have about 600 downloads of the Music Sign, Treble Clef pattern on craftsy
- I have about 900 downloads for my Peanuts-Snoopy and Woodstock pattern
- I have between 900 and 50 downloads for each of the pdf of my patterns
- I received great comments on the posts where I was sharing the patterns
- I received numerous emails from people telling me that they are working on some of my blocks
- I received email from people asking me to resize blocks for them and I happily did it
BUT... despite all that...
I had only ONE person sending me (once) a picture of two blocks she made with a comments saying that she was working on other blocks. But I never heard from her again... nor from any of the other person that asked me for resizing blocks and similar... Nobody (until few days ago) ever shared on FiS flickr group or FB or anywhere (that I know of) a picture of a work done with my patterns.
Is it possible that out of all those downloads nobody had the time to realize something with my blocks?
The answer could be "yes, maybe it's possible" but actually no, it's not... because (by chance) googling around one day I discovered 2 pictures of wall hangings that included my Treble Clef pattern... the people that realize them didn't mentioned my name, didn't link to the pattern, didn't contact me to show me their work, didn't upload their work on craftsy, nothing.
So you see now my dilemma...
I think that when something is free it does not mean that you just take it and leave... if something is free it just mean (at least to me) that you don't give back any money, but something should be given in return to the person that is offering the thing for "free"... something as little as a "thank you, look what I've done with your pattern" and a picture doesn't seem too much to ask... especially considering the huge amount of time that sharing these patterns with the community take...
Just to put the things in real terms, this is how my design/sharing process works (for each single pattern):
- initial design: about 2 hours
- preparation of the untested pdf and sharing: about 1-2 hours
- sewing of the block: about 2-3 hours
- corrections of the block: about 1 hour
- preparation of the final pdf and sharing: about 1-2 hours
So you can do the math and see how much time I worked on the 30 tested patterns and about 40 untested ones... and if I didn't have to spend time in sharing/corrections, I could have realized more blocks for my own quilts.
But the point is that I think the time I spend doing sharing/corrections, is time well spent because is for the benefit of a bigger community... so I do it happily... but I need some kind of "return" for it... and what I ask is just that when a picture of a work done with my patterns is published, there should be a link back to my blog, and that a picture is shared with me so I can see it that sharing is worth it.
Finally let me conclude that some people shared with me a block they did with my patterns (Betty Boop, and Minion) but they were specifically requested so they "don't count" in my argument... however when I saw those pictures I was super-happily jumping around the house, so in some ways it actually proves the point I am trying to make :) And few days ago I also saw a block of Minnie from my patterns in the FiS flick group... there was no link to my blog but at least it was published in a network that I see by myself so it's ok and again it made me jump around quite a bit ;)
So, to conclude, I am going to keep sharing the corrections of the blocks in the Quilt&StitchTest-Along page... but after that I am not sure...
This entire sad post was caused by the fact that in the Quilt&StitchTest-Along page I had a link party where nobody (except me) posted any link... and because I started a "MOP Monday" linky party and (again) each week there has been between 0 and 1 links... all those facts make me think...