Search this blog

Are you looking for a pattern? Just type the name of the character and let Google find it for you ;)

Saturday, February 27, 2016

Little sewing, but improving my sewing space (and a link party)

Not much sewing, but it's good to have an improved sewing space!
The Ongoing Project List:
  1. Play with Me QAL - everyone is having fun with PP (see below)
  2. WGACA projects
    1. Jane T - 2 blocks done (see below)
    2. The SK project - no progress
    3. Charity Quilts for DC General Homeless Shelter project - no progress
  3. Mirror Mirror Afghan - 2 blocks done (see below)
  4. Block Swap Adventure -  paused until March
  5. American Quilt (previous known as Americana QAL) - no progress
  6. Project Quilting (#5) - waiting for the next challenge (see below)
  7. Gyleen's BCP Mystery QAL - paused, not liking where this is going :(
  8. Splendid Sampler - block 3 done (see below)
The EverythingElse List:
  1. the 31000 Xs project - no progress
  2. Spirit cross stitch project - no progress
  3. Alice in Wonderland quilt - no progress
  4. As You Wish -  no progress
  5. Crazy optical illusion - no progress
  6. Memory quilt 2 - no progress
----
Pat and Jane announced the Splendid Sampler and can I not join such a fun project? Of course not!! :)
But I had to find my twists to make my journey different than anyone else's.

Block 3
To see all my blocks, check out My Sampler Journey page

The crochet version is a little simplified (3 hearts instead of 6) but I really like how it turned out! It is so good not to have to think about what to design for the afghan and just adapt the very inspired blocks from so many talented designers!!

--
The first project in the WGACA list  (to read more about this concept, read this previous post). is my own Jane T: I completed two more blocks!



And this is the progress on the final layout
23 blocks done!!

My initial idea was to make the blocks in random order, but I think I find more motivating if I make them in order from the center out. So I will first complete the my WoaF blocks, then assemble the center medallion, then move on to the outer blocks. I think that being able to see the full center medallion may give me a great boost of motivation as well as a nice decorative piece for my sewing space...

Speaking of which...

I do all my sewing in the dining room area, on our kitchen table :)
When we moved here I didn't have much shelves or bookcases, but I thought that I could keep my things organized in boxes... however after a while my corner ended up like this

(my sewing corner, when it was nice and tidy O_O)

The piles of boxes kept it relatively organized, but taking a box from below meant to move everything else... then everything will fall on the floor, get super messy, and then if it was messy I would just throw things on top because when it's messy it attracts more mess :(

So we went to Ikea, and this is my sewing space now
LOOOOOVE my new sewing space!

First the entire bookcase is nice and sturdy so I can use the top to temporary put the project I am working right now (meaning today). Then I love the size of those square spaces! They are big enough to store a couple of plastic containers or a fabric box, but small and contained enough to encourage me to divide the space in a meaningful way!
Then the top row of shelves contains: my scraps fabric box, drawers with FQ+bigger cuts, the current projects (hiding behind an artistic mini) and tools+spools. The bottom row has a clear box with precuts, a space with my Play with Me quilt (used also as a kitten resting place), fabric donated to me and to use for charity and fabric "trash" and other less used tools and pieces. A metal cart holds boxes with tools, rules, best press, fusible web, and those kind of things.
The space is now soooooo much more functional! In addition to that I only have 2 clear drawers of fabric smaller than FQ but bigger than precuts, and that's it! 

Now I know where everything is, everything is easily accessible and it's easy to keep it nice and clean! I am very proud of my accomplishment, even if it is not a quilt!! :)
--

Early this month I shared the second block for my Play with Me QAL


Look at all the different color combinations that people used in their game boards! So exciting!!!

If you didn't join, it's not too late!
--
And last, but not least, I want to remind you that I am working on charity quilts,
and I would love your help!! 
Quilts are for a quilt drive to help the kids in the DC General Homeless Shelter. 
And you can help me by donating orphan blocks, partial blocks, or fabric (scraps, strips, leftover, uglies, whatever). 
If you are willing to mail them to me, I could use them to make more quilts for these kids!!! 
If you are up for a loving donation, please send me an email at tweloq[_at_]gmail[dot_com] or leave a comment here with your email address so I could give you my mailing address. I promise that your donation will be used to make some kids happy and feel more loved!! 

Still no progress here... so sad... but as mentioned above, now this is in my WGACA list so I will for sure make progress in the next month on this!!! :)

--
How about you? What are YOU up to?
Link it here and share it with me!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with how much you do in such a little space. It's definitely important to keep it organized, and not add to a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sewing space is like yours, not much room, near the dining table and always messy. Love your sewing space. I ned to go to Ikea too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I have that same IKEA piece, and I love mine! It's perfect for my sewing room and it really helps me organize everything.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you!
Please share your thoughts on my projects with me!

UA-37918212-1